Summary of Major Actions:
- President Obama requested and received $2.8 billion for directly assisting Israel’s security. This is the largest amount given to Israel in U.S. history specifically allocated for Israel’s security apparatus.
- The Obama Administration has led the global effort to prevent a nuclear-armed Iran. Steps taken include:
- President Obama restored Israel’s Qualitative Military Edge, which eroded during President George W. Bush’s Administration.
- President Obama authorized Israeli use of American military equipment stockpiles in Israel during emergencies. Additionally, the Obama Administration has increased the amount of cooperation between American and Israeli military forces in joint military exercises, specifically Operation Juniper Cobra.
- President Obama requested and received $205 million for the Iron Dome Missile Shield which protects Israel’s southern and northern towns from Hamas and Hezbollah rockets. According to recent news reports, the Iron Dome Missile Shield is proving successful during field tests.
- High-level military and intelligence personnel including Defense Secretary Robert Gates, CIA Director Leon Panetta, and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen have all traveled to Israel in 2010 to discuss security cooperation vis-à-vis Iran and other situations in the Middle East.
- President Obama has also publicly pledged to maintain the “Ambiguity Policy” towards Israel’s supposed nuclear weapons program. President Obama has also publicly stated that Israel’s “unique security requirements” prevent it from signing the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.